SLIDER

Paleo Gluten free Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake

Tuesday, March 4, 2014


This was my first attempt at sweet potato chocolate cake and it turned out GREAT! It was way more moist and cakey than I would have expected! My hubs didn't know it was "special" until after he had eaten it all!! 

You will have to excuse the measurements, as I don't tend to use measuring cups-- so they are approximates/guesstimates. Essentially, you want he end product to be like brownie batter consistency. 


Ingredients:
-1 sweet potato peeled and cooked through (I put in microwave for 8 minutes then in oven at 375 for about 8-10. Peeled it then threw in the processor when it was slightly "mushy." )
-1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/3 c organic light agave or honey
-1/3 c or more (give or take) almond milk
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 eggs
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/2 c egg whites

Heat oven to 365.


1. Mix baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa together in large bowl- set aside.



2. Once your potatoes are cooked and skinned (you only want the mushy part- I peeled mine before putting them in the oven and I actually re-peeled them again so that outside texture that hardened wasn't in it), place in food processor with 2 eggs and vanilla.



3. Process until thick and creamy 

4. Slowly mix into dry ingredients. 

5. In lightly greased cake pan (I used coconut oil), pour batter.

6. Cook through until toothpick comes clean from center.



7. Cool on rack for hour or more. I placed mine in fridge for another 20 minutes just to be sure. 

*hint: if you ice it even slightly warm, the icing will melt and droop*

For icing:

1. Whip egg whites until stiff peak forms.

2. Meanwhile, heat in saucepan another 1/4 c of honey until slightly boiling. 

3. Once peaks are almost set lightly drizzle in The hot honey. 

4. Optional: stir in cocoa nibs, almonds, raspberry preserves, etc. I did not-- but next time I want to use preserves! 


Ice the cake with icing spatula (works much easier if you have one!) 







Enjoy!!! Light and low in calories! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger